What is a Family Owner’s Manual and Do I Need One?
Podcast: What is a Family Owner’s Manual and Do I Need One?
For 20 years, Josh has been responsible for all things family office related for his multi-generational, multi-branch family. He also consults with families on issues around family office design and family governance and education, and he recently launched Leaf Planner, a digital information-sharing platform designed to replicate his family’s “owner’s manual,” a tool to identify blind spots, collect, organize and communicate information to family members and advisors, and to provide a more holistic succession of information.
[00:01 – 06:56] Opening Segment
- How Josh reorganized his family’s activities under the umbrella of a single-family office
- Introducing Leaf Planner
- A platform designed to replicate the family’s “owner’s manual”
- Holistic wealth management goes beyond just finding an investment manager
[06:57 – 13:36] Creating an Owner’s Manual for Your Family
- The challenge is not so much finding the right people
- The idea of an owner’s manual
- Identifying gaps in planning, and educating the next generation
- Excel sheets and Dropbox folders are not enough to truly integrate family wealth information
[13:37 – 20:24] Balance Sheets, Alternatives, and More!
- Checklists are used to ask families deliberate questions about their wealth
- The importance of having a comprehensive roadmap of hard data and financial data
- Why the head of household should know how to access cell phones and computer
[20:25 – 26:54] Prioritize Your Work in the World
- Think about what your family would need to know if you could never talk to them again
- Know the right questions to ask and who to bring in for help
- The owner’s manual helps with the succession of information and transfer of knowledge
[26:55 – 35:38] Closing Segment
- How technology is transforming succession planning
- The value of Information
Leaf Planner: https://leafplanner.com/
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
In this episode, Samuel Bendett discusses the military’s use of robotics and artificial intelligence. Sam provides insight into the global implications of these technologies on modern warfare, including how smaller countries can now defend themselves more effectively with commercial drone technology.
Mental health and physical well-being directly impact success. In this episode, Dr. Luana Marques explains how moderate levels can be managed with cognitive behavioral therapy.
With 35 years of experience in financial services, working on Wall Street and for major regional firms, Richard has seen it all.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.