The Revolution That Wasn't
Podcast: The Revolution That Wasn’t
[00:01 – 07:00] Opening Segment
- From Wall Street Trader to Financial Journalist: Spencer Jacob’s Journey
- How he learned about finance and got a job in emerging markets
- Introducing The Revolution That Wasn’t
[07:01 – 13:40] Examining the GameStop Revolution
- How the pandemic provided Spencer an excellent opportunity to start a side project
- The genesis of the book
- The GameStop stock surge
- The initial headlines about the GameStop surge
[13:41 – 20:37] Exploring the ‘Meme Stock’ Phenomenon
- The story about meme stocks
- Meme stocks went way beyond their fundamental value
- Examining the meme stock squeeze
- Short selling is a legitimate practice where people bet against stocks without owning them
[20:38 – 27:44] Wall Street: Not a Casino, But a Place to Build Wealth
- Young Reddit traders made money, but they were net contributors to already rich people
- Wall Street is mainly made up of intermediaries who are not taking risks with their own money
- Wall Street is not a casino, but it can be marketed as one
- The correlation between the level of activity and returns
[27:45 – 35:01] The Revolution That Wasn’t
- Trading used to be expensive, but technological change has democratized finance
- The “zero price effect.”
- People consume more of something when it is free
- The pandemic caused record volatility in the stock market, leading to an increase in trading activity
[35:02 – 42:16] The Missed Opportunity
- From the bear market low to one year after, 96% of American stocks rose
- Stocks that were popular in Robinhood did better than more established stocks
- The credibility of older, wiser investors vs. the success of younger, social media-savvy investors
- The gamification of investing
[42:17 – 52:20] Closing Segment
- How to beat Wall Street and participate without playing the game
- Technology has lowered the cost of investing, allowing for more market participants
- Wall Street can be a place to build wealth over the decades with the right approach.
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
The Ultimate Guide to Commercial Real Estate Investing
Learn everything you need to know to assess the benefits of a commercial real estate investment and make the best decisions to get started.
Q1 2023 Commercial Real Estate Investment Update
The commercial real estate industry has seen significant shifts and challenges over the past year, and the first quarter of 2023 was no exception.
Understanding the Waterfall Structure in Real Estate Private Equity Investments
Learn about this distribution framework used in real estate private equity investments. Understand the components of a waterfall structure…
How Much Money Do I Need to Start Investing in Commercial Real Estate?
We frequently have conversations where people tell us, “I want to start investing in commercial real estate, but I’m not sure if I have the capital.”
Benefits of Owning Commercial Property over Residential
While both types of real estate investments have their benefits, investing in CRE can be more advantageous for several reasons.
Tax Savings Secrets: How Cost Segregation Analysis Can Save You Money
How can cost segregation analysis help real estate investors maximize their returns? In this episode, John Hanning explores the potential benefits of cost recovery studies and depreciation.
What is a Family Owner’s Manual and Do I Need One?
It’s time to make sure you and your family are set up to continue success for generations to come. Today, Josh Kanter shares his journey transitioning from practice as a transactional attorney to reorganizing his family’s activities under a single-family office.
Key Characteristics of High-Performing Family Offices
Are family offices becoming more popular? In this episode, Robert Daugherty dives into the importance of having a functional family office, and the role of the Chief Learning Officer in it.
Talking to Your Parents about Their Finances
As your parents age, you may find that you want or need to broach the often-difficult subject of finances. In this episode, Cameron Huddleston, an award-winning personal finance journalist, discusses how to have meaningful conversations with your parents about their finances.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.