The Anti-Silicon Valley Investor: How to Find Success in Early Stage Startups
Podcast: The Anti-Silicon Valley Investor – How to Find Success in Early Stage Startups
[00:01 – 11:08] Getting into Early-Stage Tech Investing
- David built, operated, and exited four different successful businesses in the insurance and finance industries over 28 years
- Exiting his day job to focus on tech investing
- The number one mistake angel investors make is investing in businesses not meant to be venture-backed
[15:10 – 29:32] The Anti-Silicon Valley Investor: How to Find Success in Early-Stage Startups
- Many early-stage startups fail or become “zombies” after taking angel money
- The investment thesis focuses on execution: building, selling, and finding people to pay for the product
- David’s advice to founders: build it yourself, find a co-founder, go to an accelerator program
- Startups outside of Silicon Valley were struggling to figure out how to raise funding and make the next Southern California has great support for life sciences, social space, e-commerce direct-to-consumer brands, and entertainment
[29:32 – 40:04] VC Sentiment in Tech Investing
- Valuations for tech startups have been drastically rising in the past few years
- Private markets lag 6-9 months behind public markets in terms of valuation resetting
- Good startups are still raising money from existing portfolios, but at lower valuations than a year ago
[40:05 – 41:35] Closing Segment
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
Real estate syndications are one of the best ways to access the full tax benefits of real estate ownership while still investing passively.
Jeff Strese is an Organizational Development Consultant and Executive Coach focusing on multi-generational family enterprises, corporations, and mission-driven nonprofit organizations.
Billy Keels is the founder of First Generation Capital Partners. He grew up knowing nothing about investing and challenged himself to learn everything.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.