Tax Planning Strategies for Real Estate and Family Offices
Podcast: Tax Planning Strategies for Real Estate and Family Offices
Ricky Novak is the Co-founder of the Strategic Group. He has spent his career working at the intersection of real estate, tax, and private equity. He works directly with high-net-worth investors and family offices and is the trusted advisor to these clients. His expertise focuses on real estate private equity, tax-deferred 1031 exchanges, Delaware statutory trust (DSTS), tax-deferred opportunity zone funds, and numerous federal and state-sponsored tax mitigation strategies.
Joining us today as Co-host is Jarrod Arnold, CPA, Jarrod is the COO at Excelsior Capital, where he oversees financial matters (including budgeting, forecasting, and tax) as well as Marketing, Human Resources, and Investor Relations. Before joining the company, Jarrod was a Tax Manager at KraftCPAs in Nashville, TN focusing on medium-sized companies in a wide range of industries. Jarrod began his career at BDO in a similar capacity and is a Certified Public Accountant in the state of Tennessee.
[00:01 -06:47] What is a 1031 Exchange?
- It’s a strategy that has minimal risk
- If you own a property, you can sell that asset and execute an exchange into one or more replacement assets
- If you do everything correctly, you are deferring your tax liability and allocating it to a new investment
[08:50 – 12:21] How to Find a Qualified Intermediary You Can Trust
- Find someone who has your best interest and will show you the right way to go about things
- Be wary of QIs who cut corners. This might put you in a difficult situation where you have to deal with IRS
- Questions to ask to qualify for a QI
- Figure out how sophisticated the QI is. You want someone knowledgeable and could help you make decisions
- Make sure they have the right insurance and dedicated advisor
[12:22 – 26:34] 1031 Exchange: Know The Rules
- Who should be at the table when pursuing 1031?
- Be involved in the conversation and make sure you understand the real-life implications
- The reason for the uptick in 1031 investments
- How you could take advantage of deferring taxes as a property owner
- Entering 1031? Make sure you have the following…
- Here’s what to ask your sponsor when vetting
- Do your investment match up
- Structure and timing
- Opportunities on legislation are materially different than 1031
[30:37 – 31:24] Closing Segment
- Connect with https://www.linkedin.com/in/ricky-novak-6269138 (Ricky) and https://www.linkedin.com/in/jarrod-arnold-cpa-a3904a40 (Jarrod) on LinkedIn and visit Ricky’s website at www.strategicgroup.com
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
Louis O Connor is the Founder of Strategic Metals Invest, which is currently the only business in the world offering Rare Earths as physical assets to private investors.
Teddy Himler is a Venture Capital Partner, running a fund at Antler that focuses on what he calls emerging tech ecosystems.
Dwayne J. Clark is the Founder and CEO of Aegis Living. With more than 37 years of senior housing experience, Dwayne is nationally known for redefining the industry.
Diana Chambers is a highly respected Family Wealth Mentor and Philanthropic Advisor who established her business in the US in 2002 and subsequently in Switzerland, where she now resides.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.