Talking to Your Parents about Their Finances
Podcast: Talking to Your Parents about Their Finances
Cameron Huddleston is an award-winning personal finance journalist and author of Mom and Dad, We Need to Talk: How to Have Essential Conversations With Your Parents About Their Finances. She is the director of education and content at Carefull, the first service built to organize and protect aging adults’ daily finances.
[00:01 – 07:29] Opening Segment
- Essential tips for having conversations with your parents about their finances
- Don’t bring up the topic of money during a holiday meal
- Start the conversation naturally
- Go into the conversation out of love and respect for your parents
[07:30 – 14:25] A Checklist for Emergency Planning
- Why all adults should have estate planning documents to ensure their wishes are known
- What estate planning documents include
- Understanding debt, investments, insurance policies, and long-term care plans
- How conversations about money should be done over time
[14:26 – 22:09] Planning for Long-Term Care
- The importance of introducing children to the concept of money
- Talk openly with children about estate planning, retirement savings, and guardianship
- Scam incidents and dollar amount lost keep increasing year after year
- Why parents should plan for long-term care
[22:10 – 29:09] Advice for the Sandwich Generation
- Parents may not be able to provide care for their elderly parents
- Caregiving can be a full-time job and require round-the-clock care
- Long-term care insurance can help cover the cost of care
- Early communication and planning are essential to have more options available
[29:10 – 36:09] Closing Segment
- The benefits that assisted living facilities provide
- What brings Cameron peace of mind
Mom and Dad, We Need to Talk: https://www.amazon.com/Mom-Dad-Need-Talk-Conversations/dp/111953836X
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
Investing during an election year can feel like a daunting prospect, given the uncertainties and apprehensions that often accompany political transitions.
Join us as we sit down with Kristen Nicholson, entrepreneur and owner of Nashville’s first contrast therapy studio, Urban Sweat. Kristen is a healthcare professional with a background in health administration…
In this episode, host Brian Adams sits down with COO Jarrod Arnold to discuss the disconnect between the financial perceptions and realities facing younger generations today.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.