How To Build A Board That Strengthens Your Business
Podcast: How To Build A Board That Strengthens Your Business
This episode of the Capital Club features Chris Yount, a battle-tested CEO who took his family business from bankruptcy to record profits. He explains why he believes companies should install a board structure and how it can provide entrepreneurs with access to industry insider connections, broader experience, and accountability. He outlines the differences between boards of directors and boards of advisors as well as how to go about setting up an effective board.
[00:01 – 07:33] Opening Segment
- How Chris restructured his family business
- From bankruptcy to record profits
- Chris’s passion for multi-generational businesses by serving as a board advisor
- How mistakes and negative experiences can be resources for success
[07:34 – 14:41] The Benefits of Having a Board of Advisors
- How to find the right people and make the most of their expertise
- Think about your biggest weakness and find a board member to fill that gap
- The difference between a Board of Directors and a Board of Advisors
- Find time for what is important in your life
[14:42 – 22:11] How to Onboard Board Members for Maximum Insight
- Push yourself with someone who compliments weaknesses
- Make sure to have a solid onboarding procedure
- Focus on high-level strategy
- Why a board packet of reading should be sent ahead of time
[22:12 – 29:34] Understanding the Challenges of Shifting Mindset
- How term limits and annual evaluations can be used to assess board performance
- Mindset shift is necessary for business leaders to admit they don’t know everything
- Gen 1 entrepreneurs often have difficulty asking for help
- How joining YPO and other networking opportunities can help you improve your business
[29:35 – 39:04] Closing Segment
- Ask around, look for surveys, and find comparable companies
- Determine what is common in terms of board structure
- Take advantage of the valuable resources that board members bring
- Want to connect with Chris? Follow him on LinkedIn, and Twitter. Head to his website, and lay out a winning strategy for your company!
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
The Ultimate Guide to Commercial Real Estate Investing
Learn everything you need to know to assess the benefits of a commercial real estate investment and make the best decisions to get started.
How Much Money Do I Need to Start Investing in Commercial Real Estate?
We frequently have conversations where people tell us, “I want to start investing in commercial real estate, but I’m not sure if I have the capital.”
Benefits of Owning Commercial Property over Residential
While both types of real estate investments have their benefits, investing in CRE can be more advantageous for several reasons.
The Revolution That Wasn’t
How has technology impacted modern finance and created an asymmetrical relationship between Wall Street and individual investors? In this episode, we speak with Spencer Jakab, the author of The Revolution That Wasn’t and editor of the Wall Street Journal’s Heard on the Street column.
Tax Savings Secrets: How Cost Segregation Analysis Can Save You Money
How can cost segregation analysis help real estate investors maximize their returns? In this episode, John Hanning explores the potential benefits of cost recovery studies and depreciation.
What is a Family Owner’s Manual and Do I Need One?
It’s time to make sure you and your family are set up to continue success for generations to come. Today, Josh Kanter shares his journey transitioning from practice as a transactional attorney to reorganizing his family’s activities under a single-family office.
Key Characteristics of High-Performing Family Offices
Are family offices becoming more popular? In this episode, Robert Daugherty dives into the importance of having a functional family office, and the role of the Chief Learning Officer in it.
Talking to Your Parents about Their Finances
As your parents age, you may find that you want or need to broach the often-difficult subject of finances. In this episode, Cameron Huddleston, an award-winning personal finance journalist, discusses how to have meaningful conversations with your parents about their finances.
Pros, Cons, and Features of Robo-Advisors for the Wealthy
Learn how to amass wealth – the right way, for you. In this episode, Barbara Friedberg, a former portfolio manager and university investments and finance instructor, delves into how robo-advisors have revolutionized traditional financial advisory services.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.