How To Build A Board That Strengthens Your Business
Podcast: How To Build A Board That Strengthens Your Business
This episode of the Capital Club features Chris Yount, a battle-tested CEO who took his family business from bankruptcy to record profits. He explains why he believes companies should install a board structure and how it can provide entrepreneurs with access to industry insider connections, broader experience, and accountability. He outlines the differences between boards of directors and boards of advisors as well as how to go about setting up an effective board.
[00:01 – 07:33] Opening Segment
- How Chris restructured his family business
- From bankruptcy to record profits
- Chris’s passion for multi-generational businesses by serving as a board advisor
- How mistakes and negative experiences can be resources for success
[07:34 – 14:41] The Benefits of Having a Board of Advisors
- How to find the right people and make the most of their expertise
- Think about your biggest weakness and find a board member to fill that gap
- The difference between a Board of Directors and a Board of Advisors
- Find time for what is important in your life
[14:42 – 22:11] How to Onboard Board Members for Maximum Insight
- Push yourself with someone who compliments weaknesses
- Make sure to have a solid onboarding procedure
- Focus on high-level strategy
- Why a board packet of reading should be sent ahead of time
[22:12 – 29:34] Understanding the Challenges of Shifting Mindset
- How term limits and annual evaluations can be used to assess board performance
- Mindset shift is necessary for business leaders to admit they don’t know everything
- Gen 1 entrepreneurs often have difficulty asking for help
- How joining YPO and other networking opportunities can help you improve your business
[29:35 – 39:04] Closing Segment
- Ask around, look for surveys, and find comparable companies
- Determine what is common in terms of board structure
- Take advantage of the valuable resources that board members bring
- Want to connect with Chris? Follow him on LinkedIn, and Twitter. Head to his website, and lay out a winning strategy for your company!
Brian’s Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brian-c-adams/
Investing during an election year can feel like a daunting prospect, given the uncertainties and apprehensions that often accompany political transitions.
Join us as we sit down with Kristen Nicholson, entrepreneur and owner of Nashville’s first contrast therapy studio, Urban Sweat. Kristen is a healthcare professional with a background in health administration…
In this episode, host Brian Adams sits down with COO Jarrod Arnold to discuss the disconnect between the financial perceptions and realities facing younger generations today.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.