Alternative Investments: Are You Riding the Wave or Facing the Risk?
Podcast: Alternative Investments- Are You Riding the Wave or Facing the Risk?
[00:01 – 09:30] The Shrinkage of the Number of Public Companies
- The market for special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs) has exploded in recent years, with a record number of companies going public.
- When the SPAC finds a merger partner and acquisition target, there is no need for disclosure since it is regulated under the merger laws rather than the IPO laws.
- There is a trend of private companies staying private longer, and this is due to the size of private equity today.
[09:31 – 20:33] SEC Updates Rules for Accredited Investors in Pre-IPO Arrangements
- Under the Investment Company Act of 1940, mutual funds can invest up to 15% in private companies.
- There is liquidity available for employees without going public because people in that private equity venture capital space are anxious to get shares before that IPO event.
- 13.1 million Americans have credit card debt, and they hold the vast majority of the wealth in the U.S. today
- There has been poor performance for SPACs since their inception, with many companies trading below their initial price.
[20:34 – 41:54] Alternative Investments: What to Look for When Trading These Cryptocurrencies
- Crypto is very similar to the dot-com bubble of the late 1990s, with prices going up rapidly and then crashing
- There is no scarcity in the crypto world, and the value of these assets is not based on real companies or anything tangible.
- Inflation is a concern for some people due to the high rates of inflation in some countries.
- Cryptocurrencies may be better suited to handle inflation than traditional assets.
- Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies may hold their value better in an inflationary environment than fiat currencies.
[41:55 – 43:37] Closing Segment
- It’s always great to have a knowledgeable financial expert by your side.
The Ultimate Guide to Commercial Real Estate Investing
Q1 2023 Commercial Real Estate Investment Update
The commercial real estate industry has seen significant shifts and challenges over the past year, and the first quarter of 2023 was no exception.
Understanding the Waterfall Structure in Real Estate Private Equity Investments
Learn about this distribution framework used in real estate private equity investments. Understand the components of a waterfall structure…
How Much Money Do I Need to Start Investing in Commercial Real Estate?
We frequently have conversations where people tell us, “I want to start investing in commercial real estate, but I’m not sure if I have the capital.”
Benefits of Owning Commercial Property over Residential
While both types of real estate investments have their benefits, investing in CRE can be more advantageous for several reasons.
The Revolution That Wasn’t
How has technology impacted modern finance and created an asymmetrical relationship between Wall Street and individual investors? In this episode, we speak with Spencer Jakab, the author of The Revolution That Wasn’t and editor of the Wall Street Journal’s Heard on the Street column.
Tax Savings Secrets: How Cost Segregation Analysis Can Save You Money
How can cost segregation analysis help real estate investors maximize their returns? In this episode, John Hanning explores the potential benefits of cost recovery studies and depreciation.
What is a Family Owner’s Manual and Do I Need One?
It’s time to make sure you and your family are set up to continue success for generations to come. Today, Josh Kanter shares his journey transitioning from practice as a transactional attorney to reorganizing his family’s activities under a single-family office.
Key Characteristics of High-Performing Family Offices
Are family offices becoming more popular? In this episode, Robert Daugherty dives into the importance of having a functional family office, and the role of the Chief Learning Officer in it.
A real estate private equity firm that owns and operates high quality multi-tenant office assets in emerging secondary markets.
Interested in learning more about Excelsior's investment opportunities?
104 Woodmont Blvd, Suite 120
Nashville, TN 37205
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should any information presented on this website be construed as an offer to sell, or solicitation of an offer to purchase any securities or other investments. This website does not contain the information that an investor should consider or evaluate to make a potential investment. Other materials related to investments in entities managed by Excelsior Capital are not available to the general public.